Sunday, June 12, 2011

Rice

I most often use calrose rice but sometimes I'll use brown. For the calrose (sticky) rice rinse 2 cups of rice under hot water. Once the water runs clear pour the rice in a medium sauce pan, add 3 cups of water, bring it to a boil, cover it, lower the heat to lowish and cook for 20 minutes. I have the worst luck with rice cookers so I just don't even bother trying to find one that will work for longer than a month. 


For brown rice I soak 1 cup for about 10 minutes, drain and rinse, bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add 1 tsp butter, a dash of salt, then add the rice, reduce the heat to lowish, cover and cook for 45 minutes. It comes out nice and fluffy every time. 


I've even started using the 10 minute brown rice (which really turns into 15-20 minute rice for me, I don't know why) but it's pretty good (not as good as the regular stuff but it's great in a crunch). Bring 1 3/4 c water plus 1 tsp butter to a boil. Stir in 2 cups 10 minute brown rice. Bring back to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, cook for 13 minutes. Take the lid off and stir the rice to make sure there is no more water. Once all the water has been absorbed put the lid back on and let sit for another 5 minutes then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment