Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Singapore fried rice

The day before or the morning of cook the rice

1 1/4 cups uncooked jasmine rice, pour in boiling water (it doesn't matter how much because you drain it and rinse it)
Boil for 20 mins, drain, and rinse in hot water. Allow to cool and place in fridge all day or over night.

2 tbsp olive oil in a pan on med-high heat
2 carrots diced
1/2 yellow onion, sliced length wise so it is in slivers
2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped/minced
Mushrooms, sliced
Zucchini, cut into quarters then sliced into chunks
Peas
Bean sprouts
Grace also says to add peppers like green, red, and/or yellow. I didn't have any so this time I made them without.
Shrimp, beef, or pork

The idea is to add the ingredients that take the longest to cook first so I kind of put them in order above. Cook the carrots in the oil for a couple of minutes, then the onion, and so on until the zucchini is added very last. She says that the veggies should still have a slight crunch to them so I definitely overcooked mine last time.

Once all the veggies are added then sprinkle with a little bit of salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning (surprising, I know). Then add 3 tbsp hoisin sauce (I'll have to get that for you later, I'm giving this to you by memory right now), and pour on a little bit of soy sauce until the flavor is right.

Remove the veggies from the wok (or in my case the big pan), crank the heat up to its highest setting, pour In 2 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp butter (grace says to add a desirable amount of oil and butter so I think I'm actually under doing the fats a little). Add the rice and fry until it's a little golden. Create a well in the middle and add in 2 eggs. Mix the eggs into the rice and continue frying until a little more golden. Add in the veggies and add in a little more soy sauce of necessary. This is delicious topped with cilantro as well as sliced green onions.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment