Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Parmesan Crusted Pork Chops and Garlic Noodles.

I got this recipe from foodnetwork.com with only a few variations.

1 large egg
*1 cup dried cracked 9 grain bread crumbs (my cracked 9 grain bread recipe turned into crumbs so that this recipe is a bit healthier:))
*1/2 tsp salt
*1/2 tsp parsley
*1/4 tsp garlic powder
*1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 pork chops
salt
6 Tbsp olive oil

*Ingredients for Italian-style bread crumbs

Combine ingredients for bread crumbs. Place 3 plates in a row on the counter. Pour the bread crumbs in one, the Parmesan cheese in one, then put the pork chops on the other. Sprinkle the pork chops with salt on both sides. Lightly beat the egg in a bowl. Coat the pork chops in the cheese, then the egg, then the bread crumbs.

Heat 3 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the coated pork chops in the skillet and cook for 6 minutes on each side, or until the center reaches 150 degrees (only, when I made this last night they were cooked all the way through and my thermometer only said they were 140... so... just make sure they are cooked all the way through, don't scorch the poor things).

The food network's recipe says to serve them with lemon wedges. I'm sure they would taste amazing with those wedges, but I didn't use them and I thought these turned out FANTASTIC!


These garlic noodles are one of my few recipes where I eyeball it every time and every time it turns out different and still delicious!
A few handfuls of whole grain spaghetti noodles
2 or more cloves of garlic
A dash or so of crushed red pepper flakes
Salt
1-2 tomatoes
Grated Parmesan cheese
1 chicken breast, cubed optional

As a side dish (sometimes this is a main dish depending on how much time I have to spend on dinner) I cooked a few handfuls of whole grain pasta in salty water. While those were cooking I minced up a couple of cloves of garlic. Once the noodles were done I drained them and rinsed them under cool water. While they were draining I put another Tbsp or so of olive oil in a medium sauce pan, put the garlic and red pepper flakes in there and allowed the garlic to turn golden brown*. Once the garlic is golden return the noodles to the pan, add extra oil if necessary so the noodles aren't sticky (they shouldn't be, though). Taste the noodles and if they need it sprinkle them with a little bit of salt but not too much because the Parmesan cheese adds sodium. Add the tomatoes and cook until they are warm. When ready to eat, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

*When I make this as a main dish I just add the cubed chicken to the garlic, red pepper flakes, and oil in the very beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment